All full-time pupils whose parents are living overseas must have an adult guardian in the UK, preferably within one hour’s drive of Sidmouth. This is a person who has ultimate responsibility for the student, effectively acting ‘in loco parentis’ for the student. Please note, this does not include students on Short Courses.
A guardian can be a family friend or relative aged over 23, or they can be provided by a third party Guardianship Agency.
Guardians should be in regular contact with the student but most importantly, they must fulfil the following requirements:
- Be able to accommodate the student in an emergency
- Be able to accommodate a pupil at half term, unless the parents/school have made alternative arrangements
- Be available to help look after students on their journeys to and from school – i.e. meeting flights and trains if necessary.
- Attend functions/events at school if required by parents
- Liaise with parents/staff about school matters
- Liaise with parents/staff/student about pastoral matters
Parents should advise school immediately that Guardianship arrangements have been made and outline clearly the full extent of the agreement.
We have a list of guardianship agencies who look after St John’s students and who will be happy to assist you. This list must not be considered as a recommendation of a particular agency – all arrangements must be made solely between the family and the guardianship agency. Below is one of the guardian agencies our students have used:
GET IN TOUCH
We would love to hear from you…
We are on hand to answer any questions you may have! Please get in touch either with the following contact details or by using our quick contact form. We will endeavour to reply to you within 1 working day.
If you would like to arrange visiting the school, to have a personal tour and to get answer to all of your questions, please visit our Admissions page & make an enquiry with a suggested time and date to suit you!